Broadmeadow Community Garden
We the residents would like to create a community garden within our local area. This garden would be used as a communal growing space for local residents, schools and groups. It would give the members the opportunity to do the following:
- Learn about the natural environment
- Share knowledge about growing and the environment.
- Grow vegetables and plants for their own use.
- Reduce foodmiles of their produce.
- Add to their local community spirit.
- For those in appartments the opportunity to access to outdoor space.
- Gain a greater awarmenss of enviromental issues such as biodiversity, water conservation, recycling, composting & sustainability.
The group intend to create a steering committee to lead the project, using the Dublin City Community Gardens as a model. This group would include the following:
- Assistant Co-Ordinator
- Publicity officer
- Education Officer
- Residents association Liason Officer
- Green school liason officer
Catchment area would be local to the project and only members who give time to the project will be involved.
- Reduce waste
- Water conservation
- Encourage wildlife through biodiversity initiatives.
- Enviromental education initiatives
- Reducing food miles
- Reducing chemicals in fodd production
- Encourage sustainable travel by having no parking and being local to residents.
The gardens should be available to all members of the community, the old , young and those with disabilities. Working together with such local groups we would hope to adapt the garden for the needs of their members. For example, higher planting beds and leaning posts for those with physical disabilities, wide access paths for wheelchair access, and a sound and texture area for the visually impared.
Broadmeadow Linear Park